Sunday, January 6, 2013

SCRAMBLED EGGS WITH HAM ON MARBLE RYE

It's the morning after Brunch with friends at the house, and I'm supposed to be getting ready for a yoga session.  Hmmm.  I've found everything else under the sun to do besides getting showered and out of the house.  Checking e-mails, playing with the cat, opening my new blender/food processor  and reading the instruction book (my old blender  died on me), you name it.  Everything but getting ready.  So I called my friend and confessed I was procrastinating.  So we will skip yoga together  today and go to a movie later. We're going to see the Hobbit.

And now I'm hungry!  Yesterday's Brunch leftovers gave me lots of options.  Among them was an extra dozen eggs and some ham slices.  I had a real taste for an ham and egg sandwich with cheese .
Of course anyone can make an egg sandwich, but how you cook the eggs can make a taste difference.  Most people don't care for their scrambled eggs to be very moist.  I love them that way - they have ever so much more flavor!

I just diced some ham and a little bit of cheddar cheese I had in the fridge.  I also had some fresh frozen chives from my garden so I took out a tablespoon for my eggs.

Crack two eggs into a bowl with just a tiny splash of half and half (fat free) or water - just a teaspoon or so. This liquid helps to make your eggs a little fluffier.  If you prefer them very dense, leave out the liquid.  Beat with a fork them until they are well mixed, but not too foamy,  Mix in the cheese and the chives.

Heat a skillet to medium high, add a little butter and the diced ham.  Cook the ham for just a minute and add the gg mixture.  Stir them until they are beautifully creamy and soft.  (If you must, cook them until they are done, done done.  You can even let the cheese brown a little on the bottom.  This tastes totally different from soft cooked, but it's just as good if that's the way you like your eggs.)   Make yourself some of your favorite toast  and top with your creamy eggs.    You'll never want another egg mc muffin again!

I only ate half so the rest will be my early dinner after the movie. This sandwich reminded me of a Western Omelet Sandwich on Rye that I used to get for lunch at the New York Deli in Cleveland!

Use your favorite ingredients:  sauteed mushrooms or onions, bacon bits, chunks of sausage, green peppers, swiss cheese.  And just this once, try the eggs cooked moist.  You will be amazed at the flavor difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment