Sunday, July 31, 2011

PEPPER POPPER DIP

More Sweet Banana Peppers in the garden. They are definitely the most prolific crop in the garden this year. It's been so hot and dry, no matter how much I water, some of the crops are just not responding. But the banana peppers grow and grow!

You've all most likely heard of Pepper Poppers? You know, those appetizers you can get in so many restaurants where a jalapeno or poblano pepper is stuffed with cheese and then baked to within an inch of it's life.

With all these peppers, it came to me that I could make a sort of Popper Dip! As it turns out, it's wonderful! All hot and bubbly, it's a fabulous dip for a party, or just for yourself. I've been dipping it on melba toasts or pita chips while I sip on a glass of wine and cook dinner. Mmmmm. Yummy

Basically I took a crab dip recipe I have, tweeked it a little and substituted the crab with sliced peppers. Play with the recipe -- add cumin -- leave out the curry - double the garlic - leave it out entirely - add a diced jalapeno. Make it your own by using ingredients and flavors you love!

Here's how I made it.

1 8 oz low fat cream cheese (DON'T use fat free - it's awful!**)
1/2 low fat or fat free sour cream
1 T curry
2 T fresh thyme
1/2 t. smoked or regular paprika
1 c. grated cheddar cheese
1 T hot sauce (or to taste)
pinch of red pepper flakes (more to taste or leave out entirely)
2 cloves fresh garlic finely minced
8 large banana peppers, seeded and sliced into thin rings
Salt to taste

In the microwave, soften the cream cheese so it will be easy to stir. Add all the other ingredients and mix well. Put into a lightly greased oven safe dish and bake until bubbly - about 15 minutes or so. If you want to use the microwave cook on high for 3 - 4 minutes. Stir, and cook for another 3 - 4 minutes . Stir and cook for 3 - 4 minutes once more making sure the dip is nice and hot.

Transfer the dip into a nice bowl and serve hot with pita chips, tortilla chips, or crostini toasts. Your friends will love this! Enjoy!

** As I mentioned, don't use fat free cream cheese. I'm all for low fat and fat free products - I use them all the time. But fat free cream cheese tastes like paste! It's awful and there is nothing you can do to make it taste better. I once made a Boursin Cheese Dip out of it. I tried adding more garlic, more herbs, salt, I even added some soft butter to it to try to make it richer. Nothing worked. It still tasted like paste.

2 comments:

  1. Mmmmm--- sounds good--- re : using the microwave oven -- I never seem to be able to heat anything over a certain temp without it splashing all over-- is that the secret-- keep stirring in between ???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds yummy! I have a dumb question though...how do you seed the peppers and still slice them in rings? LOL - I know, probably a dumb question but remember I'm domestically challenged!
    Judy

    ReplyDelete